Ever since we had some hard wind around bedtime about 2 weeks ago, Sadie has decided she's too scared to sleep due to the fact that "wind coming". Some nights she's tired enough to fall asleep, but it's rare that she'll sleep all night long. It's pointless to rationalize with her that there is no wind and if there is wind that we are safe in our house.
We are firm believers in the "cry-it-out" method. Unfortunately Sadie is a firm believer in "I can cry longer then you can stand it" method. She's practiced this ever since she was born so you'd think we'd have figured out a solution by now.
We try to let her cry it out when it's convenient, but let's be realistic, when is it convenient to lie awake in the middle of the night listening to your child scream for over an hour?
Our answer to getting a semi-full night sleep is to have Brad or myself go to the girls' room and sleep on the bottom bunk when Sadie wakes in the middle of the night. During one of my times on the bottom bunk I thought of several reasons adults don't sleep in bunk beds.
Bunk bed mattresses are thin, and therefore hard.
There's no box spring, which is amazingly important to the comfort level.
There's only 2 feet between the bottom bunk and the top bunk. That's awfully close when you're an adult.
Getting out of bed when you can't fully sit up, is a challenge.
I guess we'll have to get extreme in our "crying-it-out" method. Watch out for sleep deprived pilots and worship leaders!
6 comments:
Janelle, Do you have both girls sleeping in the same room? Doesn't Noel wake up? That's how we ended up putting an addition on the house :) We only had two bedrooms and are firm believers also in the cry it out method -but I always wondered what we'd do when child two came if they had to share a bedroom!
oh man, i feel your pain. we are on vacation and last night sophie cried for 2 hours, and then i gave in. not fun. prayer prayer prayer is all I can think of!
I have been sleeping on a mattress with Eli in his room for a week or so now. I agree - the box spring is a tremendous help to an aging back. I'm going to call you back tomorrow. This is the first chance I've had and it's ten thirty. I'm guessing you're probably all tucked into your bunk bed right now and would not welcome a late night phone call. :)
Lee and I joked about getting a bunk bed for us the other night. We can never agree on the amount of covers/type of sheets to put on our bed. He's always hot, I'm always cold.
I guess it's not such a good idea after all:)
we pribe dora. I'm quite proud of it. I finally found out that if I give her a sippy cup in bed, she'll be quiet. sweet relief at 4am.
payton says molly had to be realistic..... about what i'm not sure...
Post a Comment