In general, I don't like to shop. That's probably why my kids have never been to the mall (I think I took Noelle once when she was about 1 1/2). Last week I decided to take the girls to the mall to look for a dress and purse for me.
I had Noelle bring a backpack of activities for Sadie so Noelle could "babysit" her in the stroller and then I had 2 treats planned out. Since they've never been to the mall, they didn't know there was a play area in the middle. After about 1 hour of shopping I took them down the glass elevator and let them each throw a penny into the fountain around the base of the elevator. Noelle and Sadie really got a kick out of that and Noelle asked if that was the surprise. I was pleased to announce that I wasn't that lame, and I walked them over to the play area. They were ecstatic! They happily played for a long time.
Then we moved on to some more shopping. After another 45 minutes I announced our second treat was next on the agenda. We went to the food court and stood in front of Dairy Queen. I bent down and asked Noelle "What do you think about having ice cream for lunch? Just ice cream?" She looked at me confused...like I was asking a trick question...and hesitantly said "I think we should have something else first." I delightfully answered "No, we're going to have just ice cream for lunch!" Noelle really was unsure about this (or maybe it was my sanity she wasn't sure about) because she said several time "I don't know mom, I think we need something else."
After Noelle came around we all indulged in a Chocolate Raspberry Blizzard for lunch. We went home happy. I didn't buy a thing...which won't surprise anyone whose ever shopped with me before. When we left we all had smiles on our faces and my kids are a little more Americanize having spent the morning at the mall with Mom, playing at a germ invested playland, and eating junk for lunch.
5 comments:
I share your hatred of the mall. My kids have only been once for a playgroup meeting in the mall play area. They loved it, but I wasn't a fan. But that sounds like a great day of fun, especially around Christmas with all the decorations. We may have to steal your idea sometime :)
Ooooh...I didn't know DG had chocolate raspberry Blizzards. Hmmm...well, it sounds like you have well trained Noelle to know how to eat healthy and that you guys had a good time. I think maybe that Rosemary and I should go shopping with you next time though...:-)
I also really do not like the mall. My kids have been several times - when Ben buys tape measures at Sears and for the fountain/play area. The play area is such a disaster, though. I can never see my kids through all of the fake trees. And it's way too easy to escape. And I think it was Katie who leaned over and wondered aloud to me when we were there together about the several single men just .. sitting there on the benches. Very curious.
Ohohoh .. I took the kids a couple of months ago to get ice cream for lunch and they reacted similarly. I thought they'd cheer and clap and think I was way cooler than Ben. But they just sort of stood there looking stumped. And after they ate their ice cream, both of them had these sugar induced meltdowns and started crying that they were hungry for lunch. I think we'll wait awhile to do that again.
Last time I took Isabel to the mall (a few months ago), we were walking through Macy's and she starting waving and saying hi to all the manikins...just that made my day. Glad you had a good time:)
Post a Comment