August 15, 2009

Tricks of the Trade

Anyone who's been a mom for any amount of time is always looking for ideas (or better yet, a magic wand) to make their children act more godly. It would be nice to hear respectful speech, see selfless acts and observe first-time obedience on a more regular basis.

Here are my 2 latest tips that have seemed to help...for the time being.

#1 The "caught ya being good" bell
This tip I learned in Family Fun magazine. When you catch a child doing something selfless or being extra kind (or anything noteworthy), ring a bell and announce it a loud voice "NOELLE KINDLY HELPED SADIE DRESS HER DOLL. WAY TO GO NOELLE!!!"
#2 The 10 Minute Tidy
This idea came from Vicki Bigney years ago but I think it works best on children around age 4 and up. Set the timer for 10 minutes and let the kids know we're going to clean up as much of the house in 10 minutes as we can. When the timer rings we stop cleaning (even if the room is still a little messy) and we'll ______(fill in the blank with an activity they want to do) play Uno, play playdough, go outside etc...

If any one has any other tricks-of-the-trade I'd love to hear them. Or better yet, if you have a magic wand that hasn't been completely worn out, please pass it on to me.

3 comments:

Lee and Candace said...

Thanks for the tips Janelle! Oh how I long for first-time obedience! Today was a not so good day with that. Seriously at Isabel's party I was like...the Spence kids are SO good...how does Janelle (and Brad) do it? Keep on sending the tips!

Janelle S said...

Candace,
Thanks for the encouragement. It just goes to show that moms are more critical of their own kids. There were a number of things I noticed about Noelle and Sadie's behavior at Isabel's party that I thought I better address and work on. It's just a never ending job.

The Talberts said...

I love the ten minute tidy idea. I think I could maybe even use it on myself (if I tidy for ten minutes, I can collapse on the couch guilt-free).
Thanks for being such a great, inspirational mom and for sharing your secrets, Janelle. You are a blessing to so many of us. :)