This past Sunday our pastor challenged us to find 3-5 "humbling acts of service" that we could perform to serve others. The acts shouldn't be simply holding the door for someone, but rather doing a job that no one else wants to do like Jesus's example of washing the disciples' feet. Brad and I were joking around because we already wipe dirty bottoms and runny noses, and on Sundays and Wednesdays I serve in the nursery and wipe other children's dirty bottoms and runny noses...what could be more humbling for us to do?
Obviously God was glad we asked. (*Beware* the words "poop" and "poopy" are generously used in the description below.) Within seconds of Brad and my conversation Sadie had an exploding diaper that required 2 people to clean up - child, changing table and clothes. Although this is not an unusual task for a parent, it's certainly not something we get real excited about.
Later that same day it was time to give the girls a bath. Sadie was in the tub and Noelle was reluctantly getting in. She was very hesitant because the last bath they had together Sadie pooped in the tub and completely grossed Noelle out - rightfully so. I assured Noelle that it would be highly unlikely to happen 2 times in a row and besides she already had a hugely dirty diaper earlier in the day.
Well Noelle hadn't been in the tub more then 5 minutes when Sadie leaned forward a little with a look of concentration on her face. I thought "surely she's not pooping again." My thoughts were quickly confirmed when Noelle leaped from the bathtub, announcing in a loud voice "I'm never taking a bath with her again!" Sure enough, the same loose stool found in her diaper that morning was floating around the tub in the afternoon. What joy to find another humbling act of service right in my home!
6 comments:
Janelle, I STILL have not forgotten when my brother did that to me in the tub and that was over 25 years ago! I hope you did not scar Noelle emotionally for life! :)
wow! what are you feeding that child?
It's even more funny to hear the entire story, esp. since Pastor Brad shared the picture on the screens at church. With a collective groan of "EWWWW". both Brad and Sadie have become celebrities.
Haha! I remember those days as a kid. And I love Noelle's response!
Oh, poor Noelle. Elise did that to me on vacation last year when i was in the middle of my gaggy pregnancy stage. I feel Noelle's pain.
Wow! Reading the story was great, but getting to see pictures of Brad in action yesterday in Pastor Brad's sermon was like icing on the cake!:)
Libby has pooped so many times in the bath with Jacob that Jacob whines a little every time we put her in with him and says, "I don't want her in here. What if she poops?!"
We've always taken baths with the kids, so we've gotten several .. uh .. adventurous bath experiences ourselves.
Post a Comment