October 1, 2008

Poop and other fun

Yesterday was an exciting day in the Spence household...Sadie pooped in the potty. We have no intention of potty training Sadie this early but she'll often announce that she has to go poopy and then run back to the bathroom for a few seconds. The few times I've tried to have her sit on the little training potty she's been unsuccessful so now I just ignore her declarations of "poopy."
However Noelle must have more perseverance.
Yesterday Sadie announced "poopy" and headed for the bathroom. A little while later I hear Noelle and Sadie in the bathroom talking about going to the potty and that Noelle would help her. So, all by herself, Noelle helped take off Sadie's diaper and pants (I don't know if this is always a good thing), put the training seat on the toilet and help Sadie on.
I was making banana bread in the kitchen and was just pleased they were entertaining themselves it what appeared to be a edifying way. It wasn't too long until I heard Noelle rejoicing that Sadie had pooped in the potty. Noelle was very excited and Sadie was clapping. I just continued what I was doing to see what would happen next. Noelle continued to coach Sadie with phrases like:
"There will probably be more, so just wait a while"
"You'll get to use some toilet paper when you're all done!"
"I think Mommy will give you a treat for going poopy in the potty!" (I am?)
"Would you like a book?"
I think Sadie sat on the toilet for 15 minutes until I was called in to wipe. Noelle was estatic with her young protege and Sadie was just dazed and not quite sure what to think.
Here's Sadie and her pooping coach.
It just so happened that I had gotten them new toothbrushes at the Dollar Store that morning so I presented one to each of them for the great team effort.

On a different note, but equally as smelly, Sadie loves to get out my supply of onions, bag them up and carry them around the house. Who would of known onions were so appealing to a toddler!

4 comments:

Kentucky Kate said...

Could we borrow Noelle for a few days please? That's awesome.

The Talberts said...

I'm with Katie. We could use some pooping-on-the-potty encouragement around here!
My mother in law and I were just talking yesterday about how cute Sadie is. I love her sweet smile.

running shoes said...

Is Noelle available for conferences? While we realize it's not appropriate for her to be coaching the opposite sex, we as parents could use some tips.

Sadie is just being creative in her options for gym equipment. free weights= onions

krissy said...

A conference is a great idea!
Dora now says when she has just pooped but that's not really as helpful.