April 20, 2010

Lessons I've Learned

Here's a helpful tip I've learning in parenting:
When your child asks you to do something with them, give them a "time" when you will be available.

So often one of my girls will ask me to play/read to them and I'll be in the middle of doing something that needs to get done. If I say "I'll play with you as soon as I'm done here," they just lay around nearby asking when I will be finished.

I've learned to direct their attention to our large clock in the living room and say "I'll be ready to play with you when the big hand gets to the 3 (or whatever number is appropriate)." This sets a defined time for them - as opposed to the nebulous "when I'm done". If the child doesn't know their numbers I usually say "when the big hand gets to the bottom/top" and point it out to them.

Benefits:
They learn the concept of time
They learn their numbers
They're happy knowing mommy isn't blowing them off

Warning:
Try to be realistic in your time estimate. It's better to be ready early rather then break your agreement...although it happens.

I also use this tactic when I need them to do a chore or clean up or get ready to leave. I'll give them a "5 minute" warning by saying "when the big hand gets to the 6 I need you to clean up so we can leave." Then when I come back to tell them it's clean up time they're better prepared.

No comments: