March 22, 2011

Where's the Balance?

I have pictures of my newly transformed laundry room but my computer doesn't like them.  Soooo you'll just have to wait a little longer on those.

In the meantime, Does anyone else struggle with the balance of fun holiday traditions/gifts and simply focusing on the huge gift that has already been given by Christ?

Here's a recent conversation I had with Noelle:
N: I wonder what I'll get for Easter.
Me (sort of offhandedly):  You could ask God for forgiveness from your sins and eternal life with Him.
N:  Well, I really want a chocolate bunny.

Funny.  In a disturbing kind of way.

I almost missed the conviction in my own life....hmmm do I ever choose a temporal, carnal pleasure over a godly, right choice.

Extra sleep in place of quiet time with God
Book reading in place of serving my husband
An idle threat in place of proper discipline
Oh yes, and chocolate in place of forgiveness

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I struggle with that even though I'm the one who loves all the gifts, especially buying them. I not sure there is a "balance". It might be that we give each our all. When buying gifts, we give it our all to bring pleasure to someone we love. When we thank Our Savior and Redeemer for his gifts to us, we thank him with everything that is in us.

Paulina said...

Thank you for a gentle and convicting post! :)

Kentucky Kate said...

We are struggling with Easter too this year. It seems so frustrating that such a monumentally significant holiday should be celebrated with stupid plastic eggs and too much candy in the afternoon. This year, we're doing Easter with just our kids instead of extended family. Hopefully packing up a lunch, going to the park and spending time together. I'll do a little purse of goodies for them, but nothing major and most of our time will be spent just playing together and hopefully talking about what we are really celebrating. I'm not sure how it will go - it's an experimental year :)