April 23, 2009

Ramdom Thoughts

I don't have anything too great to report, but here are a few random thoughts:

Last Saturday was beautiful and we managed to spend most of the day outside. We went to Miami Whitewater Park (across the "great" river) to meet up with our friend's the Hocz's. The girls enjoyed climbing this tree.On a side note, our camera is dying and most of our pictures have a pink tint to them. Looks like our anniversary gift to ourselves will be a new camera...isn't that how large purchases work?

Secondly, whenever I read my friends' blogs, it seems they're always cooking up something wonderful in the kitchen. I like to make bread, but don't do it very often. Since I got the urge, I thought I'd make some yummy rolls and photograph the dough in hopes of capturing the ideal of a warm, welcoming, wholesome kitchen that Melissa Talbert always seems to have in her pictures. Either her camera is a whole lot better or I'm missing an important part of warm, welcoming and wholesome because this picture is just not inspiring. I think I'll blame it on the lighting.



Lastly, I've been feeling closed in by all the stuff that accumulates over time so little-by-little I've been weeding out drawers, boxes and closets. The most recent victim was a box Brad has in his dresser that keeps miscellaneous thing that may be important.
Here's a few items I found that have long since lost their importance:
  • 3 sunglasses straps
  • a goofy poem he wrote me for my 23rd birthday that bemoans the fact that we're getting old (I can't decide if I should laugh or cry)
  • a Target receipt for my birthday gift, 6 years ago
  • a list of possible Christmas gifts for me 2 years ago
  • 21 guitar picks. They don't take up too much room, but 21 might be a bit much.
  • His collage ID card from his freshman year. We'll keep that and call in memorabilia.

6 comments:

The Talberts said...

Ha. I thought the pink thing was intentional. Experimenting with Photoshop or something.

Your bread looks yummy. And I think you're right .. it's all in the lighting. My camera is certainly not all that exciting.

Remember the labor rap you and Brad wrote for us when I was pregnant with Jacob? I have no idea where it went, but I wish I did.

Also .. I miss the Hocz's. You didn't talk them into moving back, did you?

Paulina said...

I am also in the market for a new camera, so once you do your research please fill me in :)

Eric said...

Melissa, I'm going to spill three of your secrets for great pictures:

1. She rarely uses a flash. If you have trouble with blurring, try to set the camera on the table or something steady.

2. Set the white balance to the outdoor mode, even if your inside - it gives the images a warmer look.

3. Get closer up. Gives a more dramatic look.

The Talberts said...

Ahhhhhh. Good points, Eric. I don't know much about photography, but my pictures have improved (I think) as I've experimented with lighting and camera settings. The indoor setting is quite harsh. The only time I find it useful is when I am using flash (when the outdoor setting makes everything look orange). But like Eric said - I rarely use flash. When the kids are doing something cute at night, I'm just like, "Ehh .. whatever. Hopefully they'll do it again tomorrow when there's natural light."
And hey Paulina! Eric has a great post on the Nikon D40 on his blog several posts back.

Eric said...

There are four parts total, but here's the link to the review of the D40.

Lee and Candace said...

I thought the picture of the girls was adorable. I totally thought the pink was intentional too.

Ah yes, Melissa's cooking and kitchen always to look fabulous. I bet your bread turned out great.

I love all the things you found. I'm sure we have similar "treasures" in our drawers as well.