May 22, 2010

'A' is for Ants and AAAGGGHHH!

Does anyone else have unwanted ants in their house due to all the rain? (At least I'm going to assume it's the rain. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the crumbs on my floor or the regular occasional sticky spots on my counter).

They're the big ants and they don't seem to be coming from anywhere specific or going anywhere specific. If they're looking for their fellow ants they should be obliged when I squish their crunchy little bodies and deposit them in the trash with their fellow, paper-towel enshrouded friends. I've definitely gotten more violent in my 'squishing' as the days continue.

Anyone have any good remedies?

5 comments:

The Talberts said...

Ugh. Or .. rather, Aaaaagggghhhhh!! Yes .. we have ants, too. Ours aren't the big ones, though. They're the tiny ones and I have no idea how to get rid of them. I have heard that vinegar is a natural insect repellent, but I clean my floors with vinegar once or twice a week and if it is repelling ants, I'd hate to see how we'd be faring without the vinegar.

I really would like to deal with insects naturally, but sheesh. I called Ben the other day (after I brushed several ants off of Eli while he ate his lunch) and said, "I don't care what you have to do. Just get rid of the ants. I don't even care if you bring home a can of ant killer and spray it on our dinner plates. Just get rid of these ants!"

And he did. Just like that.

I think the passionate homemaking lady just posted a natural insect repellents thing on her blog. I can't remember the exact address to her blog, but if you go to Jen R.'s blog, just click on the Passionate Homemaking link to the right.

Anonymous said...

We had house ants (the tiny ones) all over and inside of the dishwasher this year...they were on the counter and in the windowsill and also by our front windows. It was horrible. We tried ant traps and spray and they didn't help. So we called the Pest Control Man. Problem solved. Someone told me though to buy "Terro" (?) which apparently is the same active ingredient that the pest companies use. Try asking at a hardware store or something.

krissy said...

I'll admit it, i didn't even try to be insect friendly. I just bought the indoor spray and it worked like a charm.

Anonymous said...

Ken's mother always sprinkled Comet around the areas where she could see them coming in and out. Then, she cleaned up with it!

Lee and Candace said...

Oh, don't move to the Philippines. Ants are EVERYWHERE!