May 11, 2010

What's the Opposite of a Green Thumb?

Is a brown thumb the opposite of a green thumb? Is so, I definitely have a brown thumb. I manage to kill just about everything I try to grow despite my genuine effort to care for them. My sister-in-law, Elizabeth are equally talented in this area so we're competing to see who can keep their plants alive longest. I think I'll have to concede defeat.

This year I thought I was starting out right. I planted some tomato, cilantro and cucumber seeds in March, thinking they would have a strong start before I planted them in large pots on our deck.

I was thrilled when they sprouted and I carefully monitored their sun and water exposure. Then I cautiously acclimated them to the outdoors, but now after several weeks, they look like they would rather die.

This tomato plant is so pathetic that my camera wouldn't focus on it. It found the dirt a more worthy subject to focus on.
I think I'll be visiting a greenhouse in the near future to go with Plan B.

I'm thinking that maybe a brown thumb is a sign of someone who is good with chocolate. I DEFINITELY do well with chocolate!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technically, "black thumb" is the opposite of green thumb, but let's stick with "brown thumb" - it has less of a ring of doom and gloom. I'm worried about my herbs too - I think I have to replant them and then acclimate them, at which point I'm sure they will die. I bought partially grown tomato plants at Walmart and they are happily still alive. Keep trying! You can still beat me yet!

krissy said...

I have a brown thumb too when it comes to starting seeds indoors. Go with a starter and you're self esteem will rise again. :-) But if you get a chance, garden plants like lettuce, peas, greenbeans and radishes have always been my friends.

Paulina said...

Aww, I'm with you on the plants and the chocolate!!

The Talberts said...

Ha. Chocolate.
Ben keeps things growing around here. Left up to me, everything that didn't actually cry or ask for food would die. I have always blamed this on growing up in Las Vegas, but apparently you can have just as dismal growing results even in more ideal climates.