Well I learned something new over the weekend. It's not earth-shattering, but enlightening. Anyone who learned how to type on a typewriter, as I did, was probably taught to double space after a period. Did you know...are you ready for this?...You are only suppose to single space after a period now?!? So basically everything I've typed for the past 13 years has been incorrect - including this post. It's going to be a hard habit to break.
**update**
I can't remember what blog I discovered this typography tidbit (don't you love that word? typography) but here is a link to verify my new-found knowledge.
8 comments:
What? Why? Who changed the rules? I learned to type on a computer but it was still 2 spaces!
Yeah, that can't be true. Where did you learn that?!? I also learned to type on a computer, and it was still two spaces.
Well, Janelle, I must be the old generation like you. I learned on a typewriter and two spaces was always the rule. I'm not sure I can take this!;-)
Yea, I've heard that too, but I still double space:)
That is very upsetting to hear!
When did that change?!?! For the record, since I'm not in college and have no one to nit-pick my typography apart, I fully plan on rebelling against that rule. I'm sure it will come back around to 2 spaces at some further point in my lifespan.
Seriously?! No way... I refuse to stop. In fact, I may start triple spacing. Just for fun.
You all should have been home schooled. I've single spaced my whole life and recently had a conversation about it with John where we both insisted we were correct. Thanks for the material to prove me right!!! haha.
Post a Comment